Portrait artist, painter (female), still-life painter (female) and landscape artist
Ottilie W. Roederstein was born in Zurich in 1859. In 1876 she managed to gain artistic training with Eduard Pfyffer in Zurich. In 1879 she moved to her sister’s in Berlin and studied under Karl Gussow in his ladies’ atelier. Roederstein had her first solo exhibition in Zurich in 1882 and moved to Paris, where she received further training in a ladies’ atelier and in private evening courses. One of her works was shown at the Paris Salon in 1884, and other paintings were accepted in the following years. In 1887 she returned to Zurich, and in 1889 she was represented in the Swiss section at the World’s Fair in Paris, as she was again in 1900. In 1891 Roederstein moved to Frankfurt am Main. She became engaged in the Vaterländischer Frauenverein, the Patriotic Women’s Union, hoping to improve young women’s education. In that same year Roederstein met Käthe Kollwitz, and in 1892 she came into contact with the painters’ colony in Kronberg. In 1902 she travelled to Spain, where she was deeply impressed by the works of El Greco and Diego Velázquez. In 1909 she moved to Hofheim, in the Taunus region near Frankfurt am Main. In 1913 she undertook a trip to Tunisia and Algeria. In 1914 the Frauenkunstverband, the Organisation of Women Artists, was founded to represent women in the profession, and Roederstein served on its board of directors. The artist died in Hofheim am Taunus in 1937.