Painter, commercial artist, photographer, ex libris artist, draughtsman and college professor
1947-1949 studies at the school of applied arts, the Staatsgewerbeschule, in Villach (major: engineering). 1950 founding of the 'Hundsgruppe' (Dog Group) in Vienna. 1951 meets André Breton in Paris. 1952 first one-man shows in Klagenfurt and Frankfurt am Main, Galerie Franck. Stay in Paris. 1957 destroys a number of earlier works. 1959 establishes the 'Pintorarium' together with Ernst Fuchs and Friedrich Hundertwasser. 1971 first German retrospective in the Hamburg Kunstverein. Atelier in Cologne (until 1975). 1974 collaboration with Dieter Roth. 1972 'documenta 5', Kassel, with overpainted crosses and drawings on photographs. 1981-1995 professor at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste, Vienna. 1984 major retrospective at the Centre Pompidou, Paris. 1987 major retrospective at the Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts, Brussels. 1993 exhibition at the Menil Collection, Houston.