After completing his training as a sign painter, Maximilian Klewer, born in Barmen/Wuppertal in 1891, studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Barmen. In 1911 he moved to Berlin and began his studies at the Königliche akademische Hochschule für die Bildenden Künste under Konrad Boese, for one, whose assistant and later successor he would become. From 1919 to 1943, Klewer was the director of the drawing class at the Academy, renamed the Staatliche Hochschule für Bildende Künste. In 1943, during the Second World War, Klewer fled from Berlin with his family to Höchst/Frankfurt am Main. In a bombing raid, some 170 of his works were destroyed in his Berlin apartment, but he managed to save 600 works and bring them to Frankfurt. After the end of the war, the artist's family settled in Bad Soden am Taunus, where Klewer died in 1963.