The donor of this picture is thought to have been the Frankfurt businessman Ludwig Adolf von Löwenstein (1845–1911). Löwenstein was a partner in the firm of Gebrüder Löwenstein, which from 1861 onwards had a shop in Kaiserstrasse selling jewellery, pearls and antiques. Besides his business activities, Löwenstein was imperial consul-general of Persia. Sometime between 1891 and 1896 he was ennobled, receiving the title of baron. From then on the Frankfurt directory no longer listed him as a businessman – such a designation would not have been fitting for a baron.