The Amsterdam Stock Exchange was erected between 1608 and 1611 near the dam, directly over the Amstel. Its inner courtyard was surrounded by an elongated gallery. The municipal coat of arms with the three saltires dominates the view of the north facade chosen by Job Berckheyde. Hundreds of merchants carry out their business transactions in the heart of the commercial and financial centre at the midday hour. In front of the exchange, oranges, newspapers and – in the front building at the right – even paintings are offered for sale.