Saints Petronius of Bologna and Bernardin of Siena, Gaetano Gandolfi
Gaetano Gandolfi
Saints Petronius of Bologna and Bernardin of Siena
DE
Back to top

Gaetano Gandolfi

Saints Petronius of Bologna and Bernardin of Siena, ca. 1774


Dimensions
47.9 x 33.5 cm
Physical Description
Canvas
Inventory Number
1619
Acquisition
Acquired in 1920
Status
On display, 2nd upper level, Old Masters, room 14

Texts

About the Work

Gaetano Gandolfi and his brother Ubaldo belonged to the end of the great tradition of Baroque painting in Bologna, which had begun with the Carraccis in the late 16th century. Among Gaetano’s most impressive works are his oil sketches painted with loose, impasto brushstrokes. This painting, presented in the gallery for the first time after decades in storage, has recently been restored to reveal the brilliance of its technique and the luminosity of its colouring. This is a preparatory oil sketch for a privately owned altarpiece that Gandolfi created in 1774 for the Chapel of St. Petronius in the Villa Piedimonte in Bologna.

It shows the commissioner Petronio Giovanardi Rossi’s patron saint, Saint Petronius, the 5th century Bishop of Bologna. With a grand gesture he points to the basilica dedicated to him as well as the Garisenda and Asinelli towers, which still dominate today’s Bologna cityscape. Behind Petronius kneels Saint Bernardin of Siena, to whom an angel offers his attribute, a tablet with Christ’s monogram, IHS.

Work Data

Basic Information

Title
Saints Petronius of Bologna and Bernardin of Siena
Painter
Period Produced
Object Type
Physical Description
Canvas
Material
Technique

Property and Acquisition

Institution
Administration
Collection
Creditline
Städel Museum, Frankfurt am Main
Picture Copyright
Public Domain
Acquisition
Acquired in 1920

Work Content

Iconclass

Primary
  • 11H(PETRONIUS OF BOLOGNA)(+31) male saints (PETRONIUS OF BOLOGNA) (+ angels floating in the air)
  • 11H(BERNARDINO) Bernardino of Siena, Franciscan friar; possible attributes: book, tablet (disk) with IHS monogram, three mitres at his feet
Secondary

Research and Discussion

Provenance

Object History
...
Detlev Freiherr von Hadeln (1878-1935), Venedig
Verkauf an das Städelsche Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt am Main, 1920.

Information

Since 2001, the Städel Museum has systematically been researching the provenance of all objects that were acquired during the National Socialist period, or that changed owners or could have changed owners during those years. The basis for this research is the “Washington Declaration”, also known as the “Washington Conference Principles”, formulated at the 1998 “Conference on Holocaust-Era Assets” and the subsequent “Joint Declaration”.

The provenance information is based on the sources researched at the time they were published digitally. However, this information can change at any time when new sources are discovered. Provenance research is therefore a continuous process and one that is updated at regular intervals.

Ideally, the provenance information documents an object’s origins from the time it was created until the date when it found its way into the collection. It contains the following details, provided they are known:

  • the type of acquisition and/or the way the object changed hands
  • the owner's name and place of residence
  • the date on which it changed hands

The successive ownership records are separated from each other by a semicolon.

Gaps in the record of a provenance are indicated by the placeholder “…”. Unsupported information is listed in square brackets.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the museum at .

More to discover

Contact

Do you have any suggestions, questions or information about this work?

Last update

01.02.2023