It can be assumed that the painting’s donor mentioned in the inventory book as Leopold B. H. Goldschmidt, Paris, was in fact Leopold Benedikt Hayum Goldschmidt. He was the son of Benedikt Hayum Goldschmidt (1798–1873), who had founded Bankhaus B. H. Goldschmidt in Frankfurt in the nineteenth century. It is not known when precisely Goldschmidt moved to Paris – it may have been after the Prussian conquest of Frankfurt in 1866. He remained registered as a member of the Städelscher Museums-Verein for many years after.
Art-technology findings and/or documentation regarding conservation and restoration are available for this work. If interested, please contact .