Signed and dated 1367, this panel is one of the earliest works by its maker, an artist active in Genoa. It initially formed the central panel of a multipartite altarpiece whose remaining sections have been lost. Its original location is unknown. As seen in the green underpainting of the flesh tones and the gilding of the Virgin’s robe, the artist was still following the Italo-Byzantine icon tradition. At the same time, his rendering of the tender intimacy between mother and child demonstrates his familiarity with the Sienese and Florentine painting of the time.