Georges Hulin de Loo first described a painter working in Bruges around 1520 as the "Master of the Holy Blood". Two of his main works can still be found today at their original place of destination in Bruges − the triptych with the mourning of Christ in the Chapel of the Holy Blood and a triptych of Mary in the St. James's Church in Bruges. The activity of the "Master of the Holy Blood" in Bruges was probably preceded by an education in Antwerp, because his style clearly shows the influence of Quentin Massys. On the other hand, his artistic relations with Gerard David, the most important master of Bruges in the first quarter of the century, are not very pronounced. Similar to the "Master of Frankfurt", the works of the "Master of the Holy Blood" also show a remarkably large qualitative range, which points to a larger workshop working for the market.