Painter, commercial artist (male), draughtsman, object artist (male) and sculptor (male)
Hermann Glöckner was born in Dresden in 1889. From 1904 to 1907 he apprenticed as a pattern designer while attending evening classes at Dresden’s Kunstgewerbeschule, a school for applied arts. He began working as a freelance artist in 1910. From 1915 to 1918 he served in the war in Poland, Russia and France. From 1923 to 1924 he studied at Dresden’s art academy. The National Socialists condemned his works, and a large number of them were destroyed, along with his atelier, in 1945. Glöckner became a member of the artists’ group Der Ruf (The Call). In 1980 he travelled to Paris. In 1984 he was awarded East Germany’s National Prize Third Class. Two years later he became an honorary member of the League of German Artists, the Deutscher Künstlerbund. Glöckner is considered one of the most important of the German Constructivists. His paintings, graphics and sculptural works are largely based on the principle of folding. The artist died in West Berlin in 1987.