North Netherlandish Master ca. 1530
orJan Swart ?
Until recently, this important triptych by a northern Netherlandish painter hung unrecognized and ignored in the Protestant Church of St Matthew at the edge of Frankfurt’s station district. Following extensive conservation and restoration it is now on permanent loan to the Städel a splendid example of pre-iconoclasm Dutch painting. It combines Netherlandish pictorial tradition with motifs and stylistic elements borrowed from Italian art.