In his will of 1886, the Munich painter Ludwig von Hagn (b. 1820) bequeathed several works by his painter friend Franz von Lenbach to the Städelsches Kunstinstitut, stipulating that his wife was to retain them as long as she lived. After his death in 1898, the Städel paid the insurance but did not take possession of the works. In 1922 the widow, Marie von Hagn, was in financial straits. Under the terms of the will, the works could not be sold to improve her situation, so the museum paid her 500,000 Reichsmarks. The paintings finally came to the Städel after her death in 1927.