The Sulzbachs were important Jewish private bankers in Frankfurt over several generations. Rudolph Sulzbach had chosen a prominent location for his corporate offices, opposite the Thurn und Taxis Palais. It was in his memory that his sons were prompted to donate the painting. Sulzbach acted boldly in financing industry, including the recently founded AEG; few private bankers ventured into this field at the time. After his death in 1904 his sons commemorated their father with the Rudolph Sulzbach Foundation, which supported talented businessmen. Some of the foundation's funds were also made available for the establishment of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University.