Hans Volger studied at the Bauhaus in Weimar starting in 1923 and trained as an architect at the Bauhaus in Dessau from 1927 to 1932. The photographs he took for private purposes document his everyday life as a student at the school. It was there that he met the later textile designer Lis Beyer, whom he married in 1932. He began working as a freelance architect the same year, also registering to study engineering in Karlsruhe. Having joined the Nazi party NSDAP in 1937, Volger was appointed head of the municipal planning and building control office in Krefeld in 1938. In 1945, after the war, he was dismissed from public service on account of his party membership. By 1948, he was again carrying out urban redesign and new construction projects on a large scale. Following his retirement in 1964 he settled in Bad Krozingen.